Westwego Museum

the Westwego Historical Museum

This residence, 275 Sala Avenue, was originally built for use as a general store and residence for Durac Terrebonne, who was one of the refugees displaced to this area by the Great Hurricane of 1893.

On April 14, 1907, a devastating fire completely destroyed it, along with most of Salaville.  The building was rebuilt according to the original design and specifications, housing Mr. Terrebonne’s “Fishermen’s Exchange”, a grocery and general store, barber shop, and residence. In 1917, it was acquired by Mr. L.J. Bernard, Sr., and was operated as a hardware and grocery store, and the upstairs was a residence until 1997, when the business was closed. 
The building was purchased by the City of Westwego through a state cooperative endeavor, as the very first phase of the Salaville revitalization program.  It now houses the Westwego Historical Museum, established on this site on August 25, 2000.  It serves as a meeting place for the Westwego Historical Society, which was incorporated on May 13, 1997.